Downsizing in DC: 5 Common Questions (and One Way to Answer Them)
No matter how long you’ve lived in your home, the thought of downsizing can be fraught with frenzy.
- Where will I move next?
- What’s the best-sized home for me?
- What are my options?
- How can I make the most of what I love about my lifestyle and relationships?
- What am I going to do with all of my stuff?
No matter what stage you are in life, downsizing is on the uptrend. From the tiny home movement to simplifying retirement home options, the act of downsizing is challenging the bigger-is-better movement with hard-to-fight facts.
- 37% of homeowners would prefer a smaller house to a larger one.
- The average person spends 153 days in their lifetime looking for things they can’t find.
- Eliminating clutter could also eliminate 40% of time spent cleaning.
- A UCLA study confirmed the direct correlation between cortisol (stress) levels and the density of household objects.
Bigger is no longer better. Smaller is smarter.
Whether you’re divesting yourself of clutter, freeing up funds for vacations, moving closer to family, or looking for safer, more manageable living arrangements, downsizing definitely has its perks. Fewer rooms to clean, lower costs to manage, perhaps a more convenient location near family and friends—it all sounds like a trip down easy street.
For most people, however, making that turn is incredibly overwhelming.
It doesn’t have to be.
The experts at Donovan & Wye know exactly what you’re going through. We’ve helped hundreds of clients transition from big, full houses to fulfilling lives in smaller homes by tapping into our exclusive network of vendors, services, and industry experience.
Are you ready to downsize your home in DC, Maryland, or Virginia? We’re here to help. Reach out and we’ll get started.
Subscribe and get the latest news from Donovan Wye Mandle.